Requirement Elicitation is a process of collection of requirements of any given system or product from users, customers and any other stakeholders.
This process step broadly involves the requirement inceptions, requirement identification, and requirement elicitation activities.
- Requirement Inception relates to the use of context free questions to establish a basic understanding of the problems, the people who wants the solution, the overall nature of solutions expected and for gauging the effectiveness of the collaboration between customers and developers.
- Requirement Identification involves enlisting and articulating the basic well known and fairly defined needs.
- Requirement elicitation refers to finding out or the extracting from the client/users requirements which are unclear, vague or concealed and need explicit articulation for the understanding of developer team. This phase also covers aspect such as what the overall product/solution objectives are, which needs are to be supported on priority, how the product solution fits into the business needs and what kind of use will be made of the product/solutions on a day to day basis.
Requirement Analysis also called requirement engineering. Requirement analysis is the process to determining the user expectations for a new or modified product.
This process step broadly involves the Requirement Elaboration, Requirement Analysis and Requirements Negotiation activities.
- Requirement Elaboration focuses on the development of a refined technical model of software function, user interactions, features and constraints based on the Requirement Elaboration information.
- Requirement Analysis involves the prioritising the requirements, preparing the checklist for each requirement, highlighting and reviewing problems, arriving at a high level of abstract of products/solutions.
- Requirement Negotiations involves checking requirements and resolving stakeholders/user conflicts, involving requirements categorization and organisation into subsets, establishing relationship among requirements, reviewing requirements for correctness, confirmation of requirement priority based on customer’s needs.
Requirement Elicitation and Analysis process: